Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I am the Walrus

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Here we are, day 3 of NaBloPoMo, and I’m just getting to the first post. It’s not that I haven’t had anything to say, but more a trepidation of how to say it. The first post of a blog is probably the most formidable. Like the opening paragraph of a novel, it sets the tone of what is to follow. For example: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…..” In one small paragraph, Dickens captures your attention and, perhaps, your soul. While based on a period in history, he transports you to a world of his own design; he brings you into his story.

Do I think anything I write will be of that same caliber? Not quite. However, it’s difficult to quantify that which comes from within. The mental scribblings which you paste to the inside of your cranium as you go about your daily life can only do so much good there. The process of communicating them to others gives them life. Some are a bit crazy, for sure, but others bring a perspective that may light a spark in someone else. To inspire someone to simply take a moment and think about another point of view is important and ultimately why I’m here. This has been a process that has been simmering slowly over the past few years. My inspiration for proceeding came from The Girl and her own blog (http://www.rufflesandridges.com), not to mention the plethora of blogs out there. Everyone has something to say, so why should I keep my light under a bushel basket? Opinions may be like the tertiary sphincter of the alimentary canal, and some are less pleasing then others, but what issues forth has equal ability to pollute as it does to promote the growth of something pleasant. It’s just as easy to fertilize a discussion, as it is to drag it kicking and screaming down into the bowels of the sewer.

My goal is a simple one and my rules for life are equally as challenging: I invite you to visit as I share my toys with you, just please remember that they are important to me. Some are old and some are new, but they have been given to me by those who have great meaning in my life, so treat them with respect. Play nicely or you will be asked to leave.

Welcome to my sandbox.

No comments: